- The George Washington University Law School (J.D.)
Honors: cum laude
Honors: Honors Graduate
- Tufts University (B.A.)
Honors: cum laude
- Adjunct Professor of Law at the New York Law School since 2005
- New York
- New Jersey
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court District of New Jersey
- U.S. Court of Appeals 2nd Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
Susan J. Walsh
Tel: (212) 403-7300
Susan J. Walsh is a trial lawyer who represents individuals in employment and criminal defense cases, often against large corporations or the government. She balances a fierce defense against formidable adversaries with a keen sensitivity to her clients’ experiences.Susan understands that clients dealing with litigation face a challenging ordeal and deserve to be met with compassion, empathy and strength. Having tried dozens of cases, Susan knows how to build or deconstruct a case and argue winning positions in the courtroom. Equally as important, Susan’s experience as a skilled appellate writer allows her to effectively apply the law to a trial.
Highly regarded by her peers, Susan receives the majority of her employment matters through referrals from other colleagues in the criminal defense bar. They know her work and judgment, and trust her with their clients and friends seeking employment representation. Former adversaries in criminal defense or employment litigation also refer clients to Susan, sometimes even after she has bested them in a matter. Courtroom professionals, judges and other members of the bar know Susan by reputation. For a trial lawyer, credibility means everything – no matter the area of practice.
Susan is highly engaged in bar association activities, and her involvement helps to shape both her practice and the law. She believes strongly that every professional should engage in on-going legal reform, and has devoted a significant amount of her professional career to that end. Susan has held leadership positions in local and state bar associations, and devoted time to changing 4th Amendment privacy law on the state and national levels through her amicus (friend of the court) legal work. Of all of her professional accomplishments, Susan maintains that her greatest satisfaction comes from the note or holiday card from a former client who has successfully moved on from their legal challenges and is now thriving in life.
- Successfully resolved disability discrimination claim against Federal Reserve for long time employee suffering from 9/11 related mental health challenges.
- Successfully represented CEO in unlawful breach of contract dispute against global e-commerce company.
- Successfully defeated motion to dismiss and resolved sexual discrimination suit against multi-million dollar design firm.
- Successfully represented same-sex discrimination claim against major brand-named beauty company.
- Successfully litigated injunctive relief on behalf of executive against enforcement of over-broad non-compete covenant.
AWARDS & MEMBERSHIPS
- Named One of Twelve Top Women NY METRO Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Appointed Second Circuit Representative to the Practitioners Advisory Guide to the U.S.S.G. Commission
- Recognized by the New York State Criminal Bar Association for Extraordinary Success in Obama Era Clemency Petitions
- Named to the 2021 Lawdragon 500 Leading Plantiff Employment Lawyers list
- Super Lawyers Honoree, 2010 - 2022